The Intellectual Property (IP) owned by a company may be one of its key assets, and if a company does not have the freedom to conduct business due to third party’s IP rights, this may significantly impact on its ability to operate effectively.
IP Due Diligence Assessments
IP Due Diligence is an assessment of the IP owned or used by a company, or of a third party’s IP rights, which may impact on the company’s business.
This assessment can be critically important in deciding whether to purchase or invest in a company, or in deciding whether to enter into another agreement with the company where IP is a factor. They allow us to identify:
- which IP rights are owned or licensed by a company and how enforceable they are
- whether the scope, geographical extent and term of the IP rights are appropriate, and
- the ownership of the IP, and any possible implications
At Sandersons, our approach is flexible to our clients’ resources and never just ‘one size fits all’. We work with clients to provide clear, strategic advice that is consistent with business needs.
Our IP Due Diligence service provides our team with valuable insight, enabling us to make informed, appropriate assessments throughout the transaction.
Our assessments allow us to assess:
- the freedom to operate analysis of key products, processes or trade marks
- contracts or contractual obligations involving IP rights to which the company is a party
- the existence or likelihood of IP-related litigation, and
- whether a company has an IP policy, and whether their IP seems well managed
and therefore, advise on:
- corrective action, or further steps to be taken to mitigate any problems, and
- the scope of IP warranties and indemnities sought on the back of any due diligence
Dr. Andrea Salin, Technical Assistant
Speak to our specialist team
If you would like further advice and information contact one of our attorneys today
Our Core Services
“Sandersons are responsive and know what they are doing. I don’t hesitate in putting anything into their hands. Their pricing is realistic and the service is great. I have total confidence in them.”Frank KaufholdManaging Director, UTEL
“Changing to Sandersons was one of the best business decisions I have ever made. We have found that service is everything to Sandersons – they listen intently to the detail and give good, solid advice.”George PageManaging Director, Carcoon
"Sandersons have been extremely helpful in protecting and enforcing our rights. We very much enjoy working with them - they are friendly and approachable and have an excellent understanding of the issues faced by internet businesses."Alex ChestermanFounder & CEO, Zoopla Property Group Ltd.
"The Sandersons team are friendly and approachable and always take the time to explain the complex issues involved in a straightforward way. They have an excellent understanding of the issues faced by businesses."Will HitchcockManaging Director, Above Surveying